April 4, 2013

Last Trip Home Pre-Baby!

Easter marked our very last trip back to Illinois without a baby onboard. We arrived Friday evening and met up with my family for dinner. Then we all headed out to Wild Pickins, the winery just outside of Chesterfield. None of us had been there before, and we were all impressed! Obviously Jackie and I couldn't drink but we still had a fun time! I highly recommend it!

Saturday morning came way too early, and it was stressful on this momma-to-be. I was at my parents' house in the bathroom getting ready, and all of a sudden I hear my mom in the living room holllering, "Uh oh, Frank, pick her up, uh oh, uh oh!" I froze. One of the shih tzus was yelping like crazy. I ran into the living room (still not sure how I ran!) to find my dad holding Maddie who was holding her back leg up and yelping non-stop. Once I got to her, she stopped yelping and continued to breathe very hard. Maddie has never gotten hurt before so this was all new to me! apparently she and her litter-mate, Max, were running around and playing like normal. We aren't really sure what actually happened to her leg. We got her to calm down over the next 5 minutes and dad just wanted to put her down and see how badly she was injured... Of course I just wanted to hold her! When we put her on the floor, she would immediately lie down and refuse to put any weight on her leg. She just laid there and didn't want to do anything. Dad said she was milking it but I wasn't convinced. However, if I walked away from her, she would get up and follow me with a little limp. Over the weekend, she limped a few times, wanted nothing to do with playing, and couldn't stand up on her hind legs. Whenever I was gone, Papa Frank was under strict orders to hold Maddie and not let her play or jump under any circumstances. He says he followed my orders, but I'm not so sure! She's only limped once since we got back to Jackson, and it was when she was supposed to potty but the grass was damp. Dad just may have been right about her milking it! She knew I'd come right over and pick her up. :)

Grandma Hazel loving on Max & Maddie while I was gone!

After all the dog drama on Saturday morning, Thomas and I headed to Roycelyn's for Easter lunch. Saturday night was Easter dinner with my family at Angus Bailey's. And we enjoyed Easter lunch at Doris's house on Sunday. There was a lot of really good food consumed over our trip home, that's for sure! I was actually down 5 pounds before the weekend started, but I gained all 5 back!

Grandma Hazel maaaay have been forced to pose with Jodie's beer at Angus :)

Our plan was to head back south right after lunch on Sunday. When we got to Bill's house to get packed up, Thomas decided we needed to bring his old barn back with us. Thom's Uncle John Ford made the barn (which functioned as both a toy and a toy box) for Thom's 4th birthday. Well it turns out, the barn was so big that it had to be taken apart to fit through the opening to the attic. That meant it had to be put together. Of course Thomas wanted his dad and Tanner to help him put it together because he said I would be of no help if we took it home in pieces and had to put it together later. I told Thomas it wouldn't fit in the bed of the truck under the bed cover, but he neglected to listen to his wife (who is always right). So about 2 hours later, they finally got the barn put back together. It had just started to rain as they were loading it into the back of the truck. And I'm sure you can imagine what happened next... The damn barn didn't fit under the bed cover! TOLD YA SO!! After all that work, we had to leave the barn behind at Bill's. Hopefully there won't be rain in the forecast next time we try to bring it home with us!

By the time we arrived back in Jackson, I was exhausted! The weekend was fun but I was ready for some rest. It was great to see everyone, and I can't believe we will have a baby boy with us next time! :)

Ready to pop!

1 comment:

  1. I guess I never should have mentioned that barn! I wonder who put it back together once they got it back in the attic?!? I told him it was in pieces...at least I was partially right!

    ReplyDelete