August 8, 2013

2 Months!

In June, Hudson had his 2-month check-up. He weighed 12lbs 4.5oz and measured 22 3/4 inches long. He was pretty much right in the middle percentile for everything... even his head size! He got all of his 2 month shots, and he only screamed for a few seconds. Then he was fine! Earlier that day when he was at daycare, he had pooped twice! He had consistently been going about 4-6 days between poopy diapers, so I just figured it was a fluke. However, since that day, he has been pooping 2-8 times per day! It only took 2 months for his digestive system to get worked out!

The daycare had mentioned to me that he spits up more than all the other babies, so I asked the pediatrician about it. He didn't want to give him any medicine unless it seemed to really bother him. And he wasn't eating excessively, so he must not be spitting up all that much. He said to try rice cereal in his bottles, if anything, and that it would get better with time. So we are just waiting it out. Sometimes he will spit up a lot, and other times, nothing at all!

When examining his eyes, I noticed that he was spending quite a bit of time looking at Hudson's left eye. He then told me that he saw a little speck on his pupil. He said he would contact a good friend who is a pediatric ophthalmologist and see what she says. A couple of days later, the pediatrician's office called me back and said that the pediatric ophthalmologist wanted to take a look at his eye. They made the appointment for 9:00am the next morning, and they are 2 hour appointments. Of course I had to work, so I called their office to reschedule. If I didn't bring him in that next morning (there was a cancellation), then they couldn't get him in for 2-3 months! Luckily, my staff pharmacist said she could cover for me till I got back from the appointment. Of course, when we got there the next morning, they had his appointment down for sometime in August. What?!?! I wasn't leaving till he was seen. I was adamant that we had made his appointment for 9:00 that morning, and I camped out in the waiting room till they figured out what was going on. Turns out they had accidentally switched Hudson with the person who cancelled. Finally, we were taken to a room. Phew.

She took a look at his eye, and immediately made a comment about how impressed she was that our pediatrician saw the speck. It's very small. She used all sorts of tools, toys, and lights to try to get a good look at it, but Hudson was out like a light. He was swinging his little fists at her every time she would pull his eyelid up. They eventually got some drops in his eyes to dilate his pupils to figure out where exactly the little speck was. After they did the eye drops, we had to go sit in the waiting room for 30 minutes to let the pupils dilate. He continued sleeping through the 30 minute wait. I tried to wake him up by changing his diaper, but there was no hope. So we went back into the room again, and Hudson was still fast asleep. Although he slept through the rest of the appointment, she did determine that the speck is on his iris (the pigmented part of the eye). It's way too small to be anything significant, so she wants to look at it again in 6 months. If it does turn into something significant, it would most likely be a cataract or cyst, both of which would just need to be removed. So we'll see if it has changed at all when we go back in January!

A lot happened during his first 2 months of life. At 7 weeks, Hudson all of a sudden started sleeping through the night from 9:30pm to 6:00am! He has never woken up to eat during the night since! He must have known that I was going to be needing some sleep... One week later, I went back to work and Hudson started going to daycare. On his first day, Thomas and I dropped him off together around 6:30 in the morning before Thomas went to work. I think Daddy had a harder time leaving him than I did! However, I was probably a little more exhausted than him... I didn't have to be at work till noon that day so I was excited to head back home to take a nap! Later that afternoon, I texted the director to see how he was doing. I said something along the lines of, "I hope he hasn't screamed all day!" Her response was, "Well. He hasn't screamed all day. He had his moments but okay for a first day!" I have a feeling the other babies didn't get to nap on that particular Monday!

There are 8 babies in the room with 2 teachers. I don't know how they do it! And all 8 of the babies are boys! Hudson and another little guy, Zachary, are the youngest. They were born about 10 days apart. Zachary is Thom's boss's son. It's fun to have our two boys there together!

Hudson loves to watch the fan (just like his cousin Avery used to do). Bath time is his favorite! He hates cold wipes so I warm them up in my hand before touching him with it. And he attacks the bottle every time we feed him. When he started pooping regularly, he turned into the happiest little boy! I also read the book called, "The Happiest Baby on the Block" which makes you analyze your crying baby from a different perspective. That book did wonders for us! At 2 months, Hudson started making the transition to the fun stage... I can't wait to see how much he changes in the next couple of months!





No comments:

Post a Comment